For over three decades, we’ve been celebrating the opening of Trout Season with friendly competition and prizes! The annual Blowing Rock Trout Derby is a much-anticipated early springtime event in the village. We have some of the best trout fishing anywhere in the Southeast, so the combination of the Derby and our lovely springtime makes for a great reason to visit. Fishing is a sport that can be enjoyed for a lifetime and the Derby is a great way to be together as a family.
2018 brings the 39th Annual Blowing Rock Trout Derby on Saturday, April 7.
- Derby hours begin at sunrise on Saturday, April 8, 2018, and end at 4pm on the same day.
- Catches should be taken to the official Derby Headquarters to enter for measuring. Headquarters: : The Blowing Rock Clubhouse, 108 Lakeside Drive, Blowing Rock, NC 28605.
- Trout caught in any Watauga County body of water are eligible.
- Prizes are awarded at 4:30pm at Derby Headquarters.
- Broyhill Lake in Blowing Rock is restricted to fishing by children and persons with disabilities. No fishing license is required for Broyhill Lake. There is a limit of three fish per person from Broyhill Lake.
- All Fishing and Wildlife laws should be followed for Watauga County public waters, including possession of valid fishing license and following all posted regulations.
- No entry fees are required and no pre-registration is necessary.
For more information: http://www.blowingrock.com/2017trouderbyrelease/